Thursday, July 28, 2011

Snorkeling in Alaska?!


I know I haven’t written about tours in a while. Funny story… I got lazy and didn’t dump my photos from my memory card to my hard drive. And they got … well deleted.

No pics … If I don’t have any I don’t feel like talking about the tour.

Back to the tour. Snorkeling in Alaska? Well I saw it on the tour excursions list and I thought “well that has to be interesting, exciting, cold, but most likely worth it.” So, Casey granted my wish, and put me on it this cruise. I was scared, and very Excited!!

I took the GoPro with me instead of taking the underwater cam with the underwater housing. I thought “oh this should be great.”



I was running late... late is just before on time. Lol. I always seem to be in a rush for tours. Tsk tsk. But I grabbed the GoPro…without a dam memory card. I didn’t sweat it I had a 16Gb in my own camera. No problem. I took a few shots. Than it was full. WTF?! I had to delete all my photos that I had on it in order to shoot my tour.

I don’t think it’s a big deal. I did the lumberjack show, Mendenhall glacier, and the Alaskan Husky mushers camp, which I’ll do all again guaranteed. Shame on Amber for not staying on top of her blogging.

Well the tour started off with us putting on 7-mil wet suits. From head to toe we are covered, even out hands. Oh my lord it was a challenge in itself to get the suit on. Worst part of the tour. We headed to the site, and slowly approached the water, and it wasn’t cold at first because we were so hot from having them on for more than a few minutes. It became a bit shocking than soon I got used to the temp.

The first thing you see is a massive amount of jellyfish. Not just one kind either. Super tiny ones, big ones, these colorful ones. Crazy amounts. I was surprised to see so many in Alaskan waters. Than you notice all the starfish. Lots, and lots. Purple, red, orange, the ones you see all the time, and the ones you never get to see. I saw crabs, schools of fish, these cool plants… Kelp they’re called. Amazing colors. Snorkeling here blew me away. I def want to do it again.

I ran out of space on my card…even with deleting my photos. Turned out that the GoPro…I must have hit something I didn’t mean to while in the water. It took all these pics ended up taking massive space. ☹ I got a tiny edit out of it. Not my best underwater that’s for sure. I don’t like the Gopro for underwater…at least not for shooting tours. Def use the GoPro for fun underwater stuff though. It’s just not as crisp a shot like the Sony with the underwater housing.

I got stung actually. The only skin you have exposed is a small portion of your chin, and lips. I got stung under my lip. It hurt for a lil bit, but subsided after a few hours. You can’t avoid the jellyfish. Lol. It was amazing. I recommend this tour if you ever to Alaska. It was in Ketchikan. I think they have a site in Juneau as well. I wasn’t expecting it to be so clear either. I saw more in this one hour in the water in Alaska than most of my snorkeling in the Caribbean and Hawaii. Although seeing sea turtles is always cool. Lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment