Friday, July 29, 2011

A Once in a lifetime Whale Watching Adventure.

In Juneau it was my turn to do the whale watching. We always have to do the whale watching, it’s a main attraction for Alaska.



I think I am becoming…more professional. Before I use to be like “oh I don’t want to bother people with a mic, or bother them by asking them anything” blah blah blah. Now, I think like… ”If I don’t ask them I’m gonna have a shitty edit.” Lol

So, I sought out the naturalist and mic’d her up. She was good with her narration. I used a great del with it.

I’ve done too many whale watching edits with just music. If I get bored watching damn right other people are gonna. Lol. I mean part of the tour is learning about the animals we are desperately trying to see. A little educational narration helps keep it interesting…also let you know what the hell you are seeing. Lol.

The tour started out with one Male Orca whale. By himself….which is not the norm with Orca whales. They’re usually in large pods. I got some okay shots. My editing made them better. Lol. I thought “okay Orca whale….off to a good start.” I got a little bummed because This tour was packed!! I had to battle to get a spot…which I normally don’t have to do.

We moved on to see a number of Humpback whales chilling out. The naturalist counted 6 whales. They started bubble net feed. Which is always cool to see. I could not for the life of me get a good shot of this. It happens at random. You don’t know where they’ll pop up. I had passengers in my way. I kept missing where they popped up. I was getting frustrated. I mean Yeah I got some good tails and fins and al that jazz. I couldn’t get the great stuff. I missed the ONLY whale breeching because a passengers head was in the way. I was bummed! I was determined. At this point I started praying. Lol. No lie. Whale watching to me is a by luck thing- at least I think so.

We move on to a different area. We hit a pod of Orca Whale. YAY! Prayers were answered. I got a Spy Hop, and a few jumps. I was happy. We left the area, and stopped at this island where Habor seals hang out. We start to head back to the dock. The end of the tour was approaching. I thought well I got some decent stuff. By this time it was still a really good whale watching tour. Better than most I’ve had. We stop again, I was like ok last chance to get something good. There were a crazy amount of whales. I got a spot in front thank God. At this point I didn’t know what was gonna happen since there were so many I just kept recording. All of a sudden right in the center of my frame 14 humpback Whales come up to gulp all the fish from bubble netting!! I was shocked. I didn’t zoom, move the Camera or anything. I left the camera there to record. Lol. They were so close.

I thought to myself “yes, that just made the best whale watch, and the best edit I’ll do.” Than a “Thank You Lord” quickly after. Lol.

I felt extremely lucky that it happened right in front of me. The only thing I wish I did was have my boom mic attached not just the lav mic for the narration, just so I could have gotten the noise from the whales. They were that close that I could have picked up some crazy epic whale audio.

My whale watching edit has gotten a lot of attention. I am lucky!! I did some cool zooming in and slow motion in the edit to kinda slowly relive what happens. When I was watching it I felt my self wanting to see that part once again….and again. So I did one regular run through, than scaled in and slowed it down. Worked out really good.

I don’t think I’ve ever have such a great whale watching experience. Orca whales, breeching, spy hop, and a crazy amount of Humpback Whales bubble net feeding…I don’t think it get better than that.

Oh but wait…it did. We pull up the dock and the passengers are disembarking. I always get off last. I was just chilling, than this passenger says to me “hey if you want a free shot there is this eagle right on the shore.” I said “REALLY?! I rushed upstairs on the boat, and there was a Bald Eagle eating a salmon right on the shore. I couldn’t get a steady enough shot on the boat. Finally I get off, and I get a great close up of the Eagle.

Great day! ☺

1 comment:

  1. I know you have enjoyed such whale watching and it's more great if you have posted some nice photos..



    :-) John

    Who else wants to quit their job & try travel job the world? Get travel jobs in any country and on every continent by claiming this free DVD. Get started today.

    ReplyDelete