Monday, October 4, 2010

America, American....

So, I know, I know, I have fallen behind on the blog front. My deepest apologies, for those who kept checking back.

My title... Well I recently have become sick of how my country is constantly ...made fun of, or put down...whatever you want to call it...as far as my interactions with other crew go.

Now, I am aware of what my country does, and all that jazz. Yes, I am aware of globalization, and the affects my country has had, and still has on the world. Good, and the very bad.

Now to get into my issues.

I'm like....one out of 5 or 6 americans that work on the caribbean princess. With that being said...there are almost always 90% of the passengers that are american. So, a lot of frustration that my co-workers feel come from my fellow americans. And I somehow always get the backlash of the shitty things they have to say about americans.

Now, I'm pretty easy going when it comes to the slack I have to take for being american. I have learned to deal with it and laugh it off every since I became an international traveler. I let a lot of messed up comments slide. I laugh at the stupid jokes, the stabs about how stupid we are, how rude, money hungry, very hard to please, type of people Americans are. Now, there is some truth to those things. I expects to hear comments to be honest.

My issue is people I call my friends, and people I work with everyday don't even have the common courtesy to just keep it to a minimum amount of rudeness when they feel like sharing their comments about Americans around me. I mean c'mon I don't hate my own country. Yes, I disagree with a lot of things, but I don't hate where I come from.

My co-workers don't have an once of respect for me and the fact that I'm American. Their response is always " well Amber, I don't put you in that same category, your a different type of American." What the fuck does that even mean???? I'm still American assholes!

This past turn around was really ...well this one comment just pissed me off. I made my feelings known. We had to make new signs for times that the gallery is open. Well one person was like "well I wasn't sure if I should have put military time" than my manager goes " well their American" so, I chimed in "what's that supposed to mean!?" Everyone that was around kinda walked away. My manager was left dumbfounded for a few seconds, then saying "well different countries don't understand different things. Its not in your culture to know military time." I said to her... "Americans aren't as stupid as you think, and yes, we do understand military time." Yes, granted not every single one but fuck sake man!!

I just hate how they have no respect for me in that regard. I mean you don't see me walking around saying oh romania has some ugly people, or man those philipnoes sure are greedy, or oh hey those mexicans sure know how to drink and nothing else. I mean c'mon. Most of that I just pulled out of my ass. If my friend/co-worker were from such and such a country, I'm not gonna just fucking talk shit every chance I get day in and day out about where their from. I'm sure they'd feel the same as I do now.

Well, my efforts are lost energy, everyone always hates on the americans.

No comments:

Post a Comment