Sunday, October 17, 2010

roommate drama

Well I'm in a new cabin. This is the first time I switched cabin during a contract. Which.... Its a little bit of an inconvenience, but in this case it kinda needed to happen.
Its important who your roommate is cause if there stress in the cabin between the two roommates...it makes the time on the ship even more so a tough time.

My last roommate and I ....just... I think were too similar. I mean when I get mixed with someone that is very high strung, stressed out, anal, and too neurotic about just about everything, it makes me more that way, and it takes me back to an Amber that I learned to get rid of years ago. Although I have to say that I resisted being as miserable and negative as she was....or is. She says she not, but its all about the vibe someone gives off.

So, the skinny on the room change.

One lovely boston morning a great videographer makes her way off the gangway to shoot a really awesome tour. She was going to that mysterious place called Salem for the first time. The excited videographer stops to say hi to her photographer friend. Than all of a sudden the mean, grumpy photographer gets in the happy videographers face to say "we've had a rough morning, keep going"

Ok enough with fairy tale portion. I talked to my friend for two seconds. Passengers were getting off for only twenty minutes, and she's freaking the fuck out cause they haven't had a good roll count so far.

So first thing, be positive, and don't stress out over things like that. Yes, its your job and important, but stressing out doesn't help anything.

Two: anyone that takes themselves too seriously .... That's just not fun for anyone.

Three: do not...I repeat do NOT get in Amber's face...EVER.

Four: don't ....after I leave tell one of my closest friends on the ship that I need to move out and that you don't like my attitude. Yes, obviously I'll hear about it.

So, she was lucky I can control my temper. I just told to get out of my face, and to calm down. I mean who do you think you are talking to ANYONE like that.

The whole me moving out starts there like 5 weeks ago, I think. Me moving out was never mentioned to me from her. I kept hearing it through the grapevine.

Two weeks ago, I heard it again. I said to my manager when she asked me " are you moving cabins? Are you okay with this?" I said "didn't no one say anything to me about moving anywhere." Yes with the american attitude and everything. Lol

At this point I'm starting to get pissed.

How it works on ships...whoever is in the cabin first has priority. In this case the say so person was me. The whole ME moving out wasn't supposed to happen.

We were getting a new photog and my roommate was close friends with her, and they wanted to move in together. But they needed ME to move.

Well I was never asked to move. It was just assumed that I would. I was the one that was going to be inconvenienced and no one bothered to ask me. My roommate should have talked to me about moving. I shouldn't hear it through the team. I mean c'mon now ya know.

I was pretty pissed. I'm thinking who the hell does she think she is?? I mean, I accommodated her while being her roommate. She is very difficult to live with, not to mention the lightest sleeper in the world. Makes for a not so fun time in the cabin. But I made sure to try and be courteous to her and make sure I didn't disturb her. I tried, but its one of those things where no matter how much you try its just not good enough.

After my manager talked to me, I'm thinking ok this is getting ridiculous, if she won't talk to me about it, I'm gonna bring it up. I wrote a note about it. I told her I thought this whole thing was very rude on her part.

She than wrote me back talking about "oh don't forget the new photog" is gay....so? What's that got to do with anything. Did you even ask me or the other person she would have moved in with if we were NOT okay with it? No she didn't. She was using the whole no one is comfy with a gay roommate as a selfish cover. Than she said I was rude for pre-judging her. What?? What the hell does that have to do with ANYTHING if I did or not???

I was so ready to have a full on all out argument over this. I was prepared. Fuck these notes, I'm saying anything further to her face.

She saw me in the gallery comes up to me and asks me to see ME in MY video office!! Are you fucking kidding me??? Lol hilarious!! I def told her that too. I asked her "wait, you want to speak to me in my video office?? She said "yes" I laughed at her and said "no". Lol you're not a manager, and you are not above me in anyway. I gotta give it to her tho she's got balls. Lol.

I waited to talk to her. I was working and I'm not going to have an argument when I'm trying to get shit done.

I saw her back at the cabin later that night. I was seriously ready to go. Than she said. "I'm sorry about all of this, I should have spoken with you and asked you, and I was wrong." HO-LY SHIT. I was dumbfounded at this point. I was surprised that was coming from her.

At that point I was like damn, now I can't argue and all that like I was prepared to do. Lol

I accepted her apology. And we made amends. We kinda had a heart to heart. We discussed everything.

I told her I never had a problem with moving, I just wanted to be asked first before ppl were planning things when it only involved me doing anything. A simple, small, but very important thing.

I guess our relationship is better, but the new photog came, and I was getting the hell out of that cabin. Lol I'm happier, less worried, and I feel more free in this cabin with my new cabinmate.

All is well. people are happy. It could have been a disaster. But it worked out well, all because she admitted she was a bit wrong in the situation. Amazing. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment