Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Hilo

To start off this cruise has been great!! It’s almost over. I am on seas days… stuff is compressing and after staying up to 530am editing I am slowly catching up on my work. So, while port files are compressing I am chilling out and I can update you guys ☺

Hilo was good. The tour I went on was the Land of Frozen Fire. It was basically like, the Secrets of Puna tour, but the tour guide was really good at presenting the story. I added a bit to my Hilo mini documentary.

It was cool cause I got interviews from two different tour guides, and he took us in a restricted area where the town of Kalapana was destroyed and people are building houses right on the lava rock there. Its intense. My edit is pretty cool. I got some extra footage of the Lava tree park, and some footage of these great stills that are on display at the what use to be the largest black sand beach in the world. The only thing that sucked was how I couldn’t use the interview from the other tour guide. He spoke so softly … while the camera was on. Lol. But the wind just destroyed all audio. Next time I am taking the lav mics with me. Yay! More equipment to carry with me.

I love how I am making these cool mini docs. There simple but people actually watch them. They learn a tiny bit of Hawaiian history.

Its funny when I’m on tours cause I always get this question 100% of the time: “ is that equipment heavy?” I always come up with this funny answer… and a different answer every time. I try and mix it up. I always offer for them to hold it. They always fear it and just laugh like its 50 lbs. It’s not that heavy. I never weighed it, it does get heavy after 4 or 5 hours of carrying it around- or when I have to hike with it. But I always have it with me so it’s like nothing. I always have the guy tour guides offer to carry it for me. I ALWAYS decline. It’s my job, if I couldn’t handle the equipment I wouldn’t have this job. I always say this is my job this is what I get paid to do.So, no, I thankfully decline your nice offer of helping the chick with the camera. Lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment