Friday, February 26, 2010

Maui







For this port I actually went to another island. Lana’i. This day was rough!! I am exhausted by this day. I woke up late, but wasn’t late to my tour.

We waited in the princess theatre for 45 minutes before we got to tender over to the harbor. Than we waited there for the ferry for about 20 minutes. Than waited in line for another 20 minutes to board the ferry. Than it was a 45 minute ferry ride to the other island.

The whales I was supposed to shoot were not very active. I imagine they felt like me…didn’t feel like being all crazy happy and jumping around. Lol.

Got to Lana’I and I have to say that this island is so different. The landscape is very dry. They don’t get rain. Two hundred years ago King kamehameha …(I think) like ordered the whole island to be set a blaze. So it changed the climate and vegetation forever. Crazy right. It was a very rural area. 3000 inhabitants. The population has been that size the past 40 years.

I saw the island Molokai from the top of Lana’i. I’ve been on 5 islands, and one I’m not allowed on. The big island, Kaua’I, Lana’i, Maui, and O’ahu. Molokai from what I hear is a lot of poor people with nothing really going on there. But who knows. And Ni’i’hua is forbidden. The 8th island…I forget which one that is…

I wanted to get a picture of the soil, but I didn’t. I did get a few pictures of some other things though. The soil though is super rich with iron, so its bright orange-red. It was trippy to see.

We had lunch at this little coffee shop. It was cool, the whole island doesn’t hae any chain restaurant or anything like that. All the shops/stores are locally owned and operated. I had the Best coffee I have had in a Looooooong time there!!

After my tour was over and I got back over to the ship I got my best whale footage!! All up close and they were active! It was 5pm and I had been working since 8am, but after that great coffee my mood and energy were wonderful. ☺ I think the whales and I and in sync. Lol

So far so good. ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment