Friday, September 17, 2010

Progress-finishing my first month.

Tomorrow is turnaround day...(old peeps off...new come on) I will finishing my first month thus far.

When I first came on it felt like one day was like freaking three days. My time was a bit warped. Time was reallllllly slow. It doesnt feel like that any more.

This past cruise was too easy for me. I told my senior to put me on tour. I'd rather be on tour than not. yeah I'm giving myself more work, but I'll be able to get more photos, and footage for demo and my biz. Plus I wont be bored, and I get to see the city we port in at a more in depth level.

I am trying to get this Salem, MASS. tour for next Boston. I hope i get it!!! I love Salem. Its 7 and a half hours, alll day when we are in port, but some is spent driving out there. You see a ton though! I really want this tour so I think I should be finding out soon.

This week I didnt have many tours, but they were good ones.

Newport- I did the Belcourt castle. Even though I couldnt get any footage I still enjoyed being there. I love history. This house was amazing though. The guy who owns it now collects all of these antiques. In Newport its pretty much like mansions on every corner. And thats not an exaggeration. Its really cool to see. but the maintenance is really high on those houses because of the weather 80% of the year. so they knock them down. this guy gets things from the mansions and refurbishes/rebuilds certain pieces. I saw some wood work that was amazing. dating back centuries. It blew my mind. The tour guide than tells us how he got these marble pillars from another mansion being destroyed, and these pillars date back to 2nd century. I don't believe it, but I was like whoa dude. lol that's pretty sweet...if it in fact true. I guess they did the test to find out the time period it came from.

Halifax-I went to another city not too far from port. Like and hour and a half away. We went to a town call lunenburg. really cool looking city, really nice, unique old building there. We got two hours free in Lunenburg, than we made our way to Mahune Bay. really pretty small town. I saw this market where they stored the pumpkins on the roof. lol. Yes, I took a pic. We got an hour free time in Mahune Bay. The tour guide was really nice. I liked this tour cause there was a lot of history told. You got a bit of touring around the city, but than you got to just do what you wanted. I got to get all the shots I wanted, and was able to do it freely, and at my own slow pace. It was a pretty ideal case scenario for me and my camerawork. I shot like an hour of footage...the only draw back to having all this time....I shoot too much and have to edit a bit. I spent most my time getting sound bites from the tour guide though.

I also took a lot of pics. I am trying to figure out my niche in my style of photography. But I am gonna try out seaming together landscapes to try the panoramic views. so all these places are my test shots really. they have a program to seam pics together, but I want to do it by hand first. Who knows how that will go.



Injury update, My leg is better, I feel tiny bits of pain now and than, but its a reminder I need to keep stretching. I am gonna start back up in the gym again today. lets see how thats goes.


yeah this contract is definitely panning out to be a different experience. I dont like drinking anymore. I dont like discos, the more ppl that are chilling out in the crew bar the less I feel like being up there. I prefer when just a few of us go up there to chill. I play video games now. It's usually the four of us. I play cards more too. I draw, and read way more than my last contract. I am usually always found to be hanging with photogs of some sort. My last contract I hung with so many different people from different departments, and countries, not so much this time. I just get a different vibe. I guess I am not that restless, curious, or anxious to meet different ppl from different backgrounds like I was for so long. Before the more ppl I knew the better I felt. This time around I'm just like "ehh, whatever" for the most part. I think I am done trying to be ppl's friends. I dont need as much validation as I use to, maybe. I get along better with the team, but I guess getting along with the ppl I work with is more a priority than just random ppl on the ship. Dont get me wrong, I def have a few ppl I talk to outside my department, but I guess I dont need the social attention I use to need. I am happy and content with whats going on. On my last ship I use to have some serious up and downs. Maybe it was me just trying to figure myself out still. I know I have been trying to figure it out for a number of years now. I know who I am more so now than ever. Maybe it was how everything was so new, maybe it was the relationship I was in. I am single and it great cause I havent been since I was about 14 years old. I'm by myself and it def good for me. Boyfriends give you stress. lol.

Its turning out to be a good contract. I feel more myself, and comfortable with that. I feel I'm more responsible as well. I have more major goals to focus on, and I guess that contributes to all of this.

good so far, 1 month down, 5 more to go!!

No comments:

Post a Comment