Monday, September 13, 2010

renewed faith in the medical team on board.

Today was especially good day for me because I can walk.

I will never talk walking for granted. That's for sure!!

Last week after my long distance run I woke up the next day unable to use my leg properly. Its sounds funny to say it like that. I had serious pain, and a serious limp while walking. I was thinking hmmm mits just my bad hip thing like usual. Ice it stretch and it'll get better in a few days.

WRONG.

I went to medical to let them know what was happening that next day. The guy, who I think was the head nurse told me there was nothing they could do for me. But he did suggest deep heat(bengay.) I limped all the way aft to get a bag of ice, along with my deep heat, than trekked all the way forward back to my room. Admittly enough stretching and ice did help. After awhile deep heat started to just irritate my skin. Nothing more. I ran out of ibeprophen. Bought tynlenol, but neither of those helped any with pain, and my walk was ridiculously funny. That's how I got the nickname on the team: Gangsta. My limp looked like a pimp walk. Lol

Through the week it was getting better, until yesterday. I went on a fairly easy tour, no hiking, not too much walking around, I had way worse whith this injury. Just while standing in this cool castle/mansion while this animated tour guide was talking I was in extreme pain. Worried that my next step my hip/muscles would give out and I'd be in even more pain. I didn't have this much pain. So, obviously I was getting worried. Ya know the whole mind set...will they look into this, will they say they can't do anything for me again, will I get disembarked than end up with crazy medical bills back home. Everything was running through my head.

I haven't even mentioned how sleeping had become difficult as well, I felt more pain at rest than while walking around.

So yesterday I went back to the docs. I actually had a doctor this time. She asked me what was happening. She than checked my strength and range of motion. She asked me to lift my leg against her hand while I was lying down, and she go ahead, and o told her I was. Lol she laughed at me. Than she told me to repeat it with the other leg, and I had no problem, so that let her know that I wasn't just weak. She actually laughed at me. Lol.

She showed me 3 key stretches I had to do 3 times a days. I am not allowed to go to the gym for awhile. But only slow walks around every few hours. She also gave me anti-inflammatory drugs. A pretty potent kind, but not too much.

Today I feel a lot better. The stretching is helping a lot. I was able to walk around today with out crazy limp. I was happy to have 90% mobility back!

I guess I am on the road to recovery, which makes me happy. I'm just glad she took the time to look into my issue.

Most ppl on the ships, which I am one of them... Complain about how the doc on board don't give a shit, they just through a bunch of pills, or tell there is nothing they can do. I mean because of what happened the first time I thought these docs don't care unless your have the flu or noro.

All in all this doc let me know they can help with problems other than those two things. Thank goodness I didn't give up totally on medical team.

I hope that was the last time I had to go to them for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment