Sunday, April 4, 2010

A fresh start?







I got a new senior Videographer. All is well so far. I feel like I can talk to him comfortably about our profession, and our work. I guess that sounds weird, cause he’s my boss…it should be a given. I guess what I mean by that is at first I think he didn’t know how to talk to me, but we connected on the fact that 1. He is from Slovakia, and I’m from buffalo. The connection being hockey. Slovakian players for the sabers. Our first chat was about hockey. ☺

He asked me how I liked it, cause I guess keeping American Videographers is becoming fairly difficult. They hire them, but they don’t stay, they usually quit after their contract. It’s usually the ship-life that makes them quit, not the job itself. He looked relieved to see that I do Love this job, I tolerate ship-life as stated in previous postings.

He gives a more serous vibe to my job, which I do like. I’m not going to lie. He lets me know about head office stuff, quotas, and all of that stuff. Stuff I never got to know when Stephen was my senior. (No senior was better than the other- they just have different methods, and ways of working.) He gave me some insight to what is actually expected. I feel like I have more expectations for the work I am to produce. Which I like as well. I really feel like my work matters now. He also looks at my work, which I would prefer. Knowing someone is checking my footage keeps me on my toes while I am on tour.

He’s been a senior for about 7 years. I really think I will learn a lot from him.

This leads me to My old Senior leaving. I give him a bunch of thanks. He showed me the ropes. He became my friend. We had some weird and heated moments. He made a point to get to know me personally. I’m gonna miss him for sure. We connected on a creative level. We shared a passion for movies and the art we work in. ☺

He’s going to the Diamond - it has an awesome itinerary! I am jealous. I can only hope for something so cool.

The night before he left we talked about the rest of my contract. I guess he was giving me a warning about what to expect. I was advised to step up my game….pretty much to the max, to make sure I get promoted. Marek, my new senior thinks that there is a pretty good chance I’ll be a senior by my next contract. Stephan doesn’t think so. I’ll get promoted to Video two. Which is okay with me.

How do I feel ….or where do I stand on the promotion issue? Well, I am not good with any type of authority…unless I respect you and how you work. I’m all for being my own boss…I mean still have higher up bosses, but I wont’ be the smallest on the chain. I actually would have some type of managerial say in things. As far as being a senior, well I feel like I have more to learn to be honest. I don’t feel like I am ready just yet for senior. Maybe one more contract than I’ll be ready. But I was told I progressed really fast. ☺

Wish me a good rest of my contract. ☺

You will be missed Stephan. My first 2 thirds of my contract were....EPIC with this dude. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment