Sunday, April 4, 2010

Kilauea Volcano Hiking















For this cruise I visited the Kilauea Volcano National Park once again.

Mind you I didn’t have this tour down for one of my choices, simply because I already visited this place last cruise. It was a bit different, don’t get me wrong I like how I get to do all this stuff, but the shore-ex manager likes to give me whatever tour she wants-repeats or not. Sooooo…..boo.

I visited the caldera again. I mean I do enjoy seeing it. We than went to the lava lake, hiked to the Lava tube I went to last cruise. Hiked down into the lava lake bed/crater and back out to hike on the outer rim of the crater.

This hike was intense. I am fairly fit, I like to think I can take some strenuous activity. This hike was about 5 miles long.

I experienced all weather besides snow on this hike.

It went from really cold, to rainy, to extremely windy, to extremely hot, humid, then to extremely, hot, humid, and sunny. Lol Yes, I did get some color. Lol

This tour was pretty cool. Small group of people. I do enjoy hiking, but this one was a bit tough. I had all the regular camera equipment. I was fine 3 miles in. by mile 4 I was like…. Okay we are really far from where started….I started to doubt my strength for sure. I was still doing my job. I got some pretty cool shots. By the last mile I was approaching my limit. I started to fidget with the camera more and more often.

Than there were these dam stairs….I HATE stairs, but we were pretty much done by this point.

I got back to the ship and was sooooo tired! I totally napped it off, and was totally fine. Woke up and exercised later that night. The only reason I worked out after was because I wanted to work out some of the soreness I started to get, and to up my fitness a bit, cause I don’t want to be caught at my limit on tour again!!

Some of the stuff I got to see was surreal to be honest. I was hiking on a lava lake. Seriously? Lol. All the different rocks were really cool to see. Also the hot steam that was coming up from these holes in the ground was crazy.

It sucks I couldn’t see any Lava. But as far as I was told, the lava is flowing, it’s actually in tubes and stuff which are taking it to private land. There isn’t any lava flow within the park. They said its not flowing into the ocean currently. I may not be able to see lava while I am here. We were trying to get me on a helicopter tour, but again the shore ex manager….lameness.

This tour was my hardest one. Very cool though.


My edit of the tour was pretty freaking awesome too. Better than I thought I would have done. ☺

1 comment:

  1. Pretty cool stuff Amber! It looks like you are getting to see and do a lot! How exciting. Love the pics.

    ReplyDelete