Thursday, April 1, 2010

Secret Valley










When I was in Lahaina I got to go on a tour that takes us to the northern point of the Maui Island to this valley that pretty much is isolated… trying to find a better word for that. Its hard to get to, and its self sustained. What I mean by that is if imports couldn’t gt to the island this valley village would be able to survive. They grow a lot of their own stuff. It’s a very tight community. The ride up was awesome. Again… I am a broken record. I just love all this shit that I do. Lol. For the first 3 ports in Maui I went whale watching…lame!! Only because I can see more on the ship while we sail away from Maui than going on a whale watching tour…and not to mention I wont get sea sickness either. I think when passengers go on whale watching tours in Maui they are wasting their money. Yeah you get to see whales…I will stress this… if the sea conditions are just right. When they are jumping they are all jumping and going crazy. If you don’t see them from the ship when we anchor in the early morning you probably wont all day. But anyway I finally am getting to see the rest of the island and limiting myself to whale watching. I mean I love the whales like the best of them, but I wanna see more of the island.

On the road to the valley just watching the coast is such a view. Than you see the walls on your right side, and you get to see this bright red, and purple soil! I love seeing that. For a person that wears black all the time I do love seeing colors in nature (although I am wearing more colors lately).

After the highway we get to the road that takes us down into the valley. One lane road. About 12 feet wide maybe. A lot of turns. Very narrow, and scary cause you are on a cliff. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention how there is two way traffic on this road as well. There are certain points were there is an extra 4 feet of space where a car has to pull aside, for the on coming traffic. It gets interesting. Lol.

The drive for me was a bigger deal than this plantation we went to. Its getting a little repetitive, cause when you are one plantation they talk about Taro (kinda like a potato), Kukui nuts (used pretty much the same as kerosene oil, and a good moisturizer for the skin, and it helps take away the itch for bug bites and stuff), Noni fruit (gross tasting, but great medicinal purposes), the state tree (kukui nut tree), the state fish (humuhumunukunukuapua’a …Hawai’I tiger fish), the state flower (yellow Hibiscus…used to be the red one, but it was changed to yellow cause red was seen to be too bold, and intense and they thought it didn’t represent the nature of Hawai’I, it being mellow and all that), and they also talk about the use of tea leaves, and the hula.

That was loads of information. Lol. It just know it so well now being told it over and over.
Overall the tour was good. I got to see some great things. ☺
Oh! -and we got to drive through creeks! Lol

No comments:

Post a Comment