Saturday, April 24, 2010








The Summit of Mauna Kea

This Hilo port I went to the Summit of Mauna Kea. Mauna Kea is the highest Mountain in the world. Now I know most of you are thinking, no Mt. Everest is the highest. Elevation Wise- yes, Mt. Everest is the tallest Mountain in the world.

Mauna Kea measuring from sea level to its peak is if I’m not mistaken 13,796 feet in elevation. The mountain though actually starts from the Pacific Ocean floor. From that measure it’s like 33,000 feet high-I have my numbers wrong its higher than that but I don’t know the exact height. It’s so massive its sinking by its own weight. Its pretty cool when you think about it.

They have a lot of telescopes at the summit. It has one of the clearest views on Earth.

I feel pretty privileged to have been at this spot.

The journey up to the summit was fun. The views were amazing. The tour guide was really a fun guy too. All in all I had a great time.

It was really cool, cause I saw Mauna loa from Mauna kea. You can see all of the hardened lava flows that happened from the last eruption. I have a pic of that on here.

I hope you like the pics. They don’t do the place justice for sure though. ☺

Oh yeah Mauna Kea means White mountain in Hawaiian.

I also added some pics of Hilo...crazy waves and storms!!













Jen anyone who asks me to extend is the devil. lol

No comments:

Post a Comment