Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Real Life and Ship life.

Something That I hear often is how Ship life isn’t real life. From just about every country, area of work, rank, first contract or tenth. This is something that everyone believes. Ship life isn’t the real world.

 I can’t say I disagree. I can’t say I believe it either.

 Whoever you meet on board here is a chance they think about you. Whoever you get involved with friendship, fling, or relationship there is a chance that there are some true feelings there.

Yes, we are isolated. Yes we don’t pay hefty bills. We get to see the world. We also have to work hard. Most of us- Musicians have it easy. Lol. But there is always this thing were it stands that the only reality there is- is what the person has back home.

***Maybe someone can give me an opinion on this one. I’m not really sure about this. I wanna know what people think. This isn’t a thing were ph I don’t live on a ship so I don’t know. But I know most people are familiar with the whole real world thing people give you all your life. Like ya know through high school, and college. ***

I mean there are moments where I kinda of fall into this state of disbelief where I can not believe that I’m doing this. I cant believe I get paid to edit and film happy people and see amazing things….AND THAN THEY BUY MY WORK!!! All of that is like this is unreal. That’s a more positive view I guess. Videographers really have a good gig though not everyone on the ship does.

When you ask people why they do this job its usually to see the world. That’s my answer. Added to that is the whole I get to film and edit it!

There is a distrust that goes along with ship life. YOU DON’T TRUST ANYONE. Everyone thinks someone always just wants to get laid. Which happens. Me personally I look for friends, I like being friends. Once I notice they have a thing for me its like man why do you have to mess this up.?!We were doing good as friends. Lol. Than I have to avoid that person a bit ya know.

This is real though! Life is happening, people are still people. They still feel they still have opinions. It may not be the life you want…which doesn’t make sense because doing what I don’t want is never an option for me. Not everyone is like that. I know that for sure.

Does real life get associated with misery, struggle, and hardship? Is Ship life too easy to be real life?

2 comments:

  1. I don't think that mentality is confined to jus tthe cruise ship hun, I experienced it over in Iraq. Alot of people were like "this isn't the real world, so it doesn't matter who I screw" and it happened, aparently just about everyone in my unit was sleeping with everyone else, I was one of the few who didn't and the funny thing is I'm one of the few that is still sane. I think thats another part of it, I can look people in the eye and know I didn't do anything wrong, not many others can do that.

    I agree with you babe, if those people don't like their job so much they should find a new one, and try to be happy. I mean we'll settle for craptastic jobs, but we'll be actively searching for something better the whole time.

    You are right, it is real life, its not like you're on some reality tv show, and you should make the most of it, which it sounds like you are doing :-) I'm glad you're enjoying the job hun.

    Craig

    ReplyDelete
  2. I work on a ship...as a YC , and I had this very conversation with another YC...she said shiplife is not the real world. At first I did not agree....but now I sort of do. The biggest difference is the confinement...outside of a ship you can stay out at night...dont have to worry about your home sailing away....process things without having to get to your next shift....but ship life is a life for sure....just with it's own unique set of limitations that make it different from land life. Just my thoughts:)

    ReplyDelete