Monday, December 7, 2009

The giant hiring process

I decided to start this blog because I got hired as a videographer on a cruise ship. That not being the only reason, but also to give others interested in working on a ship some insight on the process, and what it really is like. I found one or two things that gave me a "real" look on what life is in fact like on a cruise ship. 

I also wanted to update family and friends while I was away for 6 months.

I applied back in May of 08. I lived in Buffalo, NY and I just finished college. I had a degree in Media Production. So, being a videographer seemed in my grasp. You have to fill out a lengthy application, as well as submit a demo reel. Thankfully I did a lot of projects- student, and non-student to create a demo reel. 

I wanted to get out of Buffalo, I wanted to continue to travel or at least move, and see something different, experience something different. I ended up moving to Los Angeles to get my entertainment career going in the camera department. I got to LA in October 08. 

4 MONTHS go by, I'm in LA and Princess Cruise Line called me to see if i was still interested in working for them, and wanted an interview.  I was surprised for sure. They say..."they" being anything I tried to look up online...they say that if they don't contact you within three weeks forget about it. In my case this wasn't true.

I did a Phone interview. This takes about 30-45 minutes. They give you an outline of your job, wages, contract you have to fulfill. They ask you why you want to do this job, especially since its on a cruise ship.  They ask you what you expectations are, pertaining to what you think working and living on a ship will be like.  If you think it going to be a big party....dont say that. You have to work EVERY SINGLE DAY, not to go over 13 HOURS EACH DAY. That is in the contract. They can't force you to work more than 13 hours in each day. You live in a very small cabin. Your either working, out on port, changing showering, and sleeping is your main action in the cabin...how much space do you need?

So, thats the phone interview. They than submit your name and the notes they took during your phone interview to the higher ups. They decide if they want to have a face to face. Either in person, or on Skype. I opted for the in person since they have an office in Santa Clarita. 

The face to face interview...I was supposed to meet with two people, but only the head of the Videography department was there. Which was okay with me. This usually lasts about an hour. Here you get the very detailed description of what your job will be. Here is where they tell you if you are hired or not. I was told halfway through the interview than it just became informal conversation. 

You than get emailed a lot of paperwork. You have to fill these forms out quick if you want to be on a ship soon. There is a background check you have to pass. Than they also tell you that you have to pass these medical tests. Its about $200-$400. This is at your own cost. Its upfront before you can even get an appointment. My cost was $304. 

The medical tests check everything. You have to have extensive blood work. They want to check that all levels are normal. You have to have a good BMI too. There is drug testing. HIV testing, Hepatitis testing. You also have to take a chest x-ray. Hearing and vision test as well. 

You than can wait up till 10 business days to get your medical certificate if all is well and normal. 

They send you another slew of paperwork that you have to print off and take with you. Your packing list, flight,hotel info, medical cert, immigration papers if needed. They fly you out to the ship. Whichever one they put you on. You stay at the hotel for a night and the next morning you are on the ship.

 I'm not on the ship yet. I will give you the scoop once I go through all of this. oh, I forgot to mention they pay for your flight and hotel stay as well food while at the hotel. While on the ship you are fully covered health insurance wise as well. 

That the hiring process. It is pretty lengthy. 

9 comments:

  1. holy molly this is so much !! i know this blog is old but you truly have my attention. I just saw out an opportunity to work on a cruise ship (SilverSea) and I'm praying a get the job. I'm an editor in south florida but I can shoot too. I have no idea what to expect, the hiring alone sheeeeesh but I can under why. Thank you for this !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading!! I'm glad I can give some insight. It was the whole reason why I started it...that and to keep sane when times got tough onboard. lol. Before i joined there wasnt much of anything tht gave me an inside look, I'm glad I wrote it for others! I've helped a few ppl so far. :-)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. I have a skype interview on the 6th of this month. About how long did you flew out after your final interview?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rell,

      I had an in person interview, I forget exactly when though. I think about 3 weeks after my interview I flew out. But I knew I was hired quickly there after. There is a lot you have to do first once your final interview is over.

      Delete
  3. You're probably not going to be to answer this for me, since my interview is tomorrow, but how does the medical exam works? Do they send you to a specified physician or do you get to choose which doctor?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Amber! I love your blog! I am in my last year of university and I am thinking of applying for a videographer job at a cruise ship. I work at my uni's television station, but apart from that I don't have much work experience. How much experience do you think one needs in order to get the job? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen people get hired right out of school. Just know your camera shooting, editing and have a good reel. I think you should be fine. also passing the medical is a factor too.

      Delete