Monday, December 14, 2009

Trapped On Board







Well I don’t know what I was expecting…as far as security on a cruise ship, But In order to get on, and off the ship(for crewmembers)you need this card called a Laminex card. If you lose it there is a 50/50 chance you get fired. No kidding. ….this detail will matter later I promise.

 Day two…I feel like I’ve done nothing, and a ton. It’s weird. I finally got my Uniform, and my name tag J It was about time cause I was starting to get bummed out. I wasn’t part of the society on board yet. I wanted my uniform, and nametag. People finally know who you are. Oh, and a lovely Surprise for me. The passengers get excited to talk to and see an American crewmember. Lol. “You’re one of the good guys” this guy said to me earlier today. Lol. But of course everyone likes seeing, and talking to their own people. I’ve noticed that on board for crew, and passengers. Don’t get me wrong diversity is great. But people always want to feel as though they belong to something, and identify with others on some type of level.

 

I finally met my Boss. Well I technically have a lot of bosses.  I am referring to My videographer Boss, the one other person from my department. Lol. We’re part of the photo department, but we don’t help them with their photo deal. Thank god.!! Their job sucks.  Videographers as I have heard from other crew have the best job on the entire ship. Most videographers LOVE their job. I was a little pissed though….I want to work….I’d like to do my job…we’ve ported today on another island, and again tomorrow. I cant do videography off the ship, and do cool tours until I get that damn Laminex card. They are taking forever to make it. I heard that I wont get it till we part in LA. That’s like in 5 days. It won’t matter cause we’re at sea after tomorrow for 4 days. I get to shoot tomorrow night, finally…Its 50’s night for the passengers, so this is going down on board. I start work at 7pm. Probably to work till midnight editing included. I have a free day. Not a bad gig. Lol.

 

My boss is a pretty cool dude, my age, actually works in the movie industry as well.  We def are on the same wavelength. We get along. That’s always good. I hate to have an awesome job and have a miserable manager. Like when I worked at sears photo. I loved my job, and my manager spread her misery. I wanted to slap her every day. Lol.

 

I hung out at the crew bar with my new buddy Pepe last night. She works in the gift shop. She’s from Balgaia. She’s funny. Yeah- not very lively last night. A lot of crewmembers are pissy cause there are a lot of sea days on this cruise route. More sea days means more work for a majority of the crew on board. With my job it doens’t matter. Port day-I work….sea day-I work. The only difference is the time I work. But I imagine Port days are way more fun. I brought up the pissy attitude of some crew because it is causing this not so friendly vibe amongst crewmembers. From what ppl tell me working on a cruise ship is always fun, and the crew are super friendly. The general consensus on this one is that people are sticking with whom they work with, and not branching out, and being friends with everyone. There is also this snottiness as well. Based on what job a person has they may feel entitled to treat someone whom they think has a crappier job like crap. Which I obviously think is shit. I fall into a weird category though. I’m not anything fancy…I record stuff, edit and make a dvd. Nothing too high and mighty, but it doesn’t suck either.

 

So….another free day till 7pm tomorrow.

 

Oh yeah…sea sickness is not an issue for me. Used to the movement now J It was a trip falling asleep while the ship is rocking. Lol.

 

I’m still happy to be here.  :-D           

 

3 comments:

  1. Where are you cruising TO, Amber, or doesn't it matter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right now we are leaving HAWAII. Its back and forth from LA to the islands and mexico than back to LA. thats till april. the same run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds about right. People will be people everywhere you go huh

    ReplyDelete