Monday, December 21, 2009

My Late Night with Uncertainty

Last night was a late night like I expected. I got done around 1am. Compressing, and capturing takes so long. Stephen was telling me how to burn this dvd and there was like 12 steps. He went so fast. He goes “ Are you following me?” I was so overwhelmed I just said “no”. I did do it successfully the first time though. I just told him he was going so fast. I mean he’s been doing this for almost two years day in, and day out.  But it was like he got mad at me, but than said “well this was your first time doing it I don’t expect you to know it so well the first day”. But he pushes me a lot for him just saying that. He jut wants me to be good. He tells me he likes the whole being creative and all that, but than I throw some much stuff out there for promotion ideas…he always comes up with something that’s wrong with it…than follows that by saying “well I’m not an expert in marketing.” I know a few things about marketing though.

 

I made this awesome flyer (I’ll post it) He didn’t like it cause he said it was too busy. Okay fair enough. Too busy for the majority of old people that are on board. Than he says “this next cruise we have a ton of young people onboard for the holiday. I’m like really you just helped my argument. But in the end my flyer isn’t getting printed. He wants something simpler so I made three different ones. He better like one of them.

 

I’m kinda pissy though. I worked all day yesterday. 12 hours. Never feels like that ever. Editing it never feels like that. Time seriously just flies. We both shot the sail away party. I had 40 minutes and he had 17 minutes. I edited the whole first video. Which is cool cause it’s on the channel. I like it. He doesn’t even check my work. My work could be complete garbage, but its “Amber just burn the daily dub, and hand it in to be shown on the channel” I don’t know, I kinda want some feedback. He only checked my first edit to be sure I knew how to in fact edit and shoot at all.

 

He always preaches quality and a good product, but the last video I wouldn’t buy. There is a flip side though, most people can see the crappiest Videography, and LOVE it. Maybe I’m too much of a critic. I just want something more than moving images with music underneath. I’m trying to do all these creative edits.

 

Also while I was working all day yesterday he was in the Wardy. (bar for officers and higher staff onboard) He always says “page me if I need anything.” He never answers them. If he does its like 15 minutes later if at all. Also he’ll talk to me on the phone and tell me “okay meet me in the editing suite in 10 minutes.” Than he wont show up till 30-45 minutes later. Like…Really??

 

I mean I’m pretty laid back, but jesus.

 

All of this has left me feeling like… should I say something. Like I don’t know all his responsibilities, but we just delivered the dvd’s the day prior, and his job doesn’t get that hectic till the end of the cruise, on port days. We don’t port till Friday. Normally I’d do the edit, and compress it to an MOV file (if needed), then he’d burn and compress for the daily dub for broadcasting it over the channel on board. But he made me do all of it cause he was getting drunk? I really hope that’s not the case. Earlier in the day he said he’d do it, but as the night rolled on it was Amber fend for yourself. “oh you need to learn this anyway” He’s pushing me to be Senior Videographer my next contract, but Jesus I haven’t been here a full cruise yet let alone a whole contract.

 

Well I guess once I learn everything I need to know I wont have this torn feeling about everything. I really don’t want it to turn into me doing All the work when he’s just chilling in the Wardy cause he knows I’ll do it, and nothing will go wrong.

 

Trust me I am aware the Higher the position that less work you do. But it to be so waited on my end to the point he doesn’t have to do anything till the end of the cruise (burning all the dvd’s and compressing everything) besides him doing tours than I’ll say something.

 

He told me yesterday to say EVERYTHING that’s on my mind, no matter what. If its still bothering me than I will.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment